HTML Essential Training by Lynda.com Post #2

Last night, I posted my reflections on the first two chapters of the HTML Essential Training course on Lynda.com.

Tonight, I went through the third chapter. One major theme of the chapter was teaching the viewers the best practice of not using HTML to do certain things that should be done by CSS.

For example, there are 6 kinds of headings in HTML:
  • h1
  • h2
  • h3
  • h4
  • h5
  • h6
h2 by default is rendered as smaller than h1 and bigger than h3. One might think, then, that if the heading looks too big or too small in the browser, to just use a different heading.

However, this is not a good practice because headings are used to used to structure the HTML document and establish hierarchy. The h1 tag represents the most important heading on the page.

If we want to adjust the size of the heading, instead of changing the tag, we should use CSS.

Another example of this is space between paragraphs. If I want more space between two paragraphs, I should not do this by putting an empty paragraph in my HTML. I should do this using CSS.

I'm still really enjoying the course and I now have 37% of the course completed. Thanks for reading!

Comments