RF Fingerprinting - Another "GPS-ish" Technology

Today, I went to a seminar about robot automation of RF fingerprinting. I have never heard of RF fingerprinting before today, but my understanding from the seminar and from the Googling I have done after the seminar, is that it is an alternative to GPS (Global Positioning System) technology.

Why do we need this? Well, the example I heard at the seminar, is that if someone cannot get satellite signal from their location, they cannot use GPS. For example, in the basement of your home, you most likely cannot use GPS.

Check out these links:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2004/101104techupdate.html

http://wireless.vt.edu/symposium/2010/2010%20Tutorials/D1_Wrieless%20Position%20Location_Costabile.pdf

Another thing I love about learning new things is that sometimes they enable you to learn many more new things. Before the seminar today, I wasn't aware that there were multiple technologies for wireless position location. It wasn't something I had really thought about. Today, after learning about RF fingerprinting, I realized there is more than one technology. After doing some Google research, I found 10 different technologies that do this.

Comments