The 8 Layers of a Mobile App

App is short for application. I believe there may have been a time in my college career where I actually did not know that so do not worry if you just learned that.

Tonight, I was on LinkedIn and I came across a sponsored ad from Salesforce for their their free e-book on the layers of mobile applications. I went and took a peek at the ad and looked at the free e-book. It's fairly short and provides a basic overview of the layers of a mobile application.

In my last post, I had mentioned not gaining familiarity with the layers of an application until I took a web development course. I think a broad understanding of the application layers are important so I'm going to summarize the Salesforce list of mobile application layers. Even if you have no idea what the words mean, the next time someone mentions something about mobile application architecture (or any type of application architecture), you will have a vague idea that will hopefully help you articulate a question to learn more.

The eight layers of a mobile application from back to front are:

1. Back-end data
2. Collaboration
3. Business Logic
4. Security
5. Container
6. Device Data Layer
7. Offline Syncing
8. User Experience

Hope this helped enlighten you a bit about the wonderful world of information technology!

Comments