Trials and Tribulations of My Ruby on Rails Installation: Part 2

Last night, I wrote about some of the issues I have had so far with attempting to install Ruby on Rails on my Windows machine. At the end of my entry, I mentioned a message that included the words "certificate verify failed" and how I thought I had found a solution by doing a web search.

Unfortunately, that solution did not work and all other forums that dealt with the topic seemed to point back to the web page where I found this solution. I read the comments underneath the solution to see if this was not working for anyone else. I ended up finding a comment that linked to someone's long one-liner solution to solve the certificate issue. From my understanding, it was supposed to be the exact same thing as the solution, but just compacted into one line of commands. I tried it anyway and something happened because the next time I tried to install the mysql2 gem, I got a different message.

The certificate error was gone, but now there was a path issue. I needed to update my path to include build tools. I tried to install the bundler gem to see if that would help or if it would even work. It did! If I recall correctly, my attempts to install the bundler gem had not worked prior to running the long one-liner command so it seemed I was making progress.

I tried again to install the mysql2 gem and got the same message about updating my path to include build tools.

My research on this has led me to information about the development kits, but I am still trying to figure out what the problem and solution are.

Thanks for reading!

Comments